About WHAFV

The Welcome Home Alliance for Veterans, locally known as Welcome Home Montrose, is a grassroots community initiative began by Melanie Kline who was inspired by this video that featured the determination and courage of Corporal Todd Love, his father Gary Love, and USMC Sergeant (Retired) Jared Bolhuis. As she learned that outdoor recreation, challenging sports and exploring nature were beneficial to healing the body and spirit of these recovering veterans, she sought to share the high quality of life that can be found on the Western Slope of Colorado. Our goal is to create a “no barriers” community where every veteran of our armed services can thrive in the life they choose.

A COMMUNITY UNITED TOGETHER TO BECOME A NO BARRIERS ENVIRONMENT FOR EVERY VETERAN OF OUR ARMED FORCES WITH JOBS, HOMES, SERVICES, AND RECREATION.

Many service members have returned from their service with physical injuries such as amputations and burns, while others’ injuries, such as Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Traumatic Stress are less visible but no less impactful. No one returns unchanged. The Department of Defense and the Veterans’ Administration deal with many of their needs but eventually they must make the difficult, often lonely, transition to their “new normal”. For some veterans, this transition has been ongoing for decades, others are just beginning theirs.

20 veterans commit suicide each day.

* 2016 statistics

This means a new family suffers the loss of a loved one every 80 minutes.  There are more losses to suicide than to combat.

60%

60% of those who serve come from our National Guard.  They go directly home to their families and careers, forever changed, without transitional support in their communities.  America is unprepared to provide for the unique needs of these heroes and their families.

The homeless, unemployment, and divorce rates among veterans are much higher than average and rising.

Clearly, the current paradigm is not working. They need communities that are organized and ready to meet their ongoing needs. These individuals, less than 1% of our nation, fight to preserve freedom for the remaining 99% of us. Most won’t get their own American Dream.  The answers to these problems will not come from the government. The problems are pressing and the solutions must be implemented now.

 

We mean to serve those who stepped up to serve on behalf all of us. By strengthening our services, identifying and filling our gaps, creating programs and removing the barriers in our infrastructure, we are preparing a safe and supportive place for our veterans to thrive in the life they choose.

We are a small Colorado community with a big heart and lofty goals.  This initiative is a work in progress and will always be improving and changing according to the needs we discover by listening to Veterans and their families at the Warrior Resource Center. See our values →

The Warrior Resource Center provides a place of giving and receiving kindness, where anyone can “Support the Troops” in whatever way they can.